State of the Twittersphere
Hubspot has released its "State of the Twittersphere Qtr 4 2008 Report".
According to Hubspot
- 5,000 to 10,000 new user accounts per day were opened on Twitter during the fourth quarter of 2008.
- 70% of all Twitter users joined in 2008;
- 20% of all users have joined in the past 60 days.
Whether Twitter goes mainstreamlike Facebook or MySpace remains to be seen. Twitter users are still miniscule compared to these two social media giants.
So what is Twitter?
- Twitter is a microblogging tool.
- Twitter is kind of like a chat room, but you choose who you follow, and who follows you.
- Twitter is an instant messenger, but messages are archived and searchable.
- Twitter is a human powered news feed.
- Twitter is a social networking site, but you don't spend hours setting up and maintaining your profile.
- Twitter is a content syndication tool. Web sites such as twitterfeed.com will automatically post your rss feeds to your Twitter account.
- Twitter is a photo sharing tool.
- Twitter is a PR/Marketing tool.
- Twitter is portable. You access it via the web, through your phone, or from desktop applications like TweetDeck.